Thursday 15 October 2020

How to Live the Dream: Things Every Van Lifer Needs to Know - Kristine Hudson

I picked this up because I have a campervan, and I think many of us with vans wonder from time to time what it might be to go full-time.

Firstly I'll mention that my campervan and I are in the UK and this book is American.  It's therefore directed at Americans who are contemplating the full-time life, but it still has some interesting points for those of us reading it on the other side of the Atlantic.  Right in the first chapter, for example, there are some useful and just-as-relevant-in-the-UK questions, such as 'What deep, burning need in your life will van living satisfy, and are you prepared to make a significant number of sacrifices to find that lifestyle?'  On the other hand, the author also says 'consider the option of not living in a van'.  And there are elements in the book for those who aren't full-time in their vans, but still have vans and for whom, like me, they're an important part of their lives.

As well as talking about the freedoms of van living, it also talks about some of the limitations, responsibilities and realities.  I like this balance.  The elements on health are sensible too, and not especially US specific, and cover both physical and mental health matters.

The book also points out that living in a van can still be expensive, and it covers breaking down potential budgets both for build and living costs.  It has sections on earning a living while being on the road, and it's definitely realistic and not just rosy in its approach.  There are some nice black and white photos throughout, which help break up the text.

Written by someone who's been there and done it - starting with short trips - the practical sections are interspersed with biographical anecdotes which are interesting and relatable!

I'd say this is a good read for anyone, on either side of the Atlantic, who is considering a long trip, or long term living, in a van.


This review is based on an advance copy which I was sent free.  The opinions above are mine and I was not asked to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment