Saturday 2 January 2021

From a Wonky Path to an Open Road - Janey de Nordwall

I really enjoyed reading this book, especially the sections when Janey is on the road with Charlie the VW campervan and Kenny the Cat. Her descriptions of the countryside they travel through and the characters they meet make me long to be on the road again in my own VW campervan and to visit some of the same places. But most of all I relate to her need to set off on a 'wonky path' of a couple of thousand miles! I also relate to her in that I'm a similar age, single, with no children and I enjoyed some of her comments about that through the book.

The travel sections are woven through the story of her life. Some of this I related to rather less, not being a BAFTA winner myself, but these sections are as well told as the travelogue elements. There's much to think about here, as well as some genuinely funny sections - the 'knocking on the van' is an example, and Janey's career progression is absorbing. But, for me, the best bits are the van, the cat, and the journey. Definitely recommended for anyone who enjoys reading about people's travels 'on the road', and nice that this one stays in the UK! Oh, how I wish I could head off for the hills right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment