And that, in a way, leads to why this book is for me a little bit disappointing in terms of the romantic leads. Amy, rather than having the appeal of the reserved Eleanor in the above mentioned classic, for me came across rather frustratingly at the start of this book, and James not much better. Perhaps partly because at that point I'd not really had a chance to get to know either of them. Of course I understand why the story begins as it does though. Then we meet Isabel. Although grasping and entirely self-obsessed, I ended up feeling rather sorry for her as I read. I wasn't very impressed by James' reasons for wooing her, especially as they were so obviously unsuited as to be heading to not simply an unloving but nonetheless contented and workable union, but rather towards what was very likely to be a hostile, unfaithful and actively unpleasant one.
It's unusual for me to read a romance where I found the romances of those who AREN'T the leads more interesting, such as Morry and Miss Bainesworth and even Francis and Bertie! I don't dislike Amy or James, but I just didn't find myself as invested in them and their path to their happy ending as I expected as I read. The latter section works well overall however, although the twist about James' aunt felt superflouous and I felt the story would have been better without it, but perhaps I am weird!
To summarise, I really enjoyed this novel's sense of place and time, which is richly described and thus absorbing. It's been interesting to find out what life was like in and around the Belgian town of Spa in the eighteenth century. The author is skilled at blending real historical facts, people and places with the fictional elements. Reading A Love Once Lost is almost like climbing into a time capsule for an evening! So despite a few snags along the way, I like the Bridwell family and am keen to read on in order to discover the stories of Hannah and Marianne.
NOTE: I read a pre-publication version supplied by the publisher. No review was required. All comments and opinions above are entirely my own.

No comments:
Post a Comment