Friday, 26 June 2026

Queen of Poisons - Robert Thorogood

I came across The Marlow Murder Club by accident on TV, and have moved to the books, which are equally if not more enjoyable than the very well cast TV series.

In this volume, the Mayor of Marlow suddenly drops dead in the middle of a Town Council meeting - poisoned by aconite. Everyone seems to love Geoffrey, but it doesn't take long for amateur sleuths Judith, Suzie, and Becks to discover that it's not only ALL of his Council colleagues who have some big secrets to keep. 

Robert Thorogood is expertly versed in telling cleverly constructed cosy mysteries, and he does a great job here. Judith, Suzie, and Becks are fabulous characters. So different and yet so complimentary in their personalities and approaches. There is plenty of wit and humour in this novel, and although it's the third book in the series there's absolutely no requirement to have read the previous two in order to enjoy this one. But if you haven't, I'll bet you'll be seeking out the other volumes in this sparkling series. I read this in big chunks while away in my campervan over a heatwave weekend, and I'm already looking forward to my next encounter with the Marlow Murder Club ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment